Why Do You Need a Wood Humidity Meter?
Humidity Meter is a very useful instrument for every wood carpenter. Well, every wood carpenter knows the importance of it. Too much moisture is a top enemy of wood and furniture. It will ruin your finished products quickly. When should you check the moisture level of the wood? Well, you should check moisture level before, during, and after the job is done. Too much moisture in wood ruin furniture, also; it will ruin your career as a wood carpenter. Wet wood cracks, splits, and fungus grows on it. So, how can you measure the moisture level in wood? The Humidity Meter is your savior in this case.
Wood Humidity Meter: It’s dead simple. It measures the moisture level in wood. Two types of wood Humidity Meters are there in the market today (pin type and non-invasive type.)
* Pin type: The most common type of wood Humidity Meters available in the market today. OK, the downside of this type of meter is leaving a mark on the wood. Anyway, this meter is very useful on multi-layered and uneven surfaces. Also, it can measure the depth of the moisture issue.
* Non-invasive type: These meters don’t have a pin to insert. It uses an electromagnetic radio frequency and measures the moisture level. The top advantage of this type is its ability to measure large areas accurately and quickly. Also, don’t cause any damages to the wood.
Yes, a wood Humidity Meter is an essential: Why do I need a wood Humidity Meter? That’s the question in your mind now, right? You need a one because you are a professional. Checking wood moisture level before selling and buying wood is a must. If you buy wood with excess moisture, then your money will be just wasted. On the other hand, if you sell poor-quality
wood with excess moisture, then you will get a bad reputation in the industry. Can you check moisture level without a Humidity Meter? Yes, you can; but excess moisture in wood doesn’t always show initial signs. Sight and touch tests won’t let you know whether there are moisture pockets deep in the wood. Anyway, a wood Humidity Meter can detect any hidden moisture pockets, so you can buy or sell wood with peace in mind.
* Simply, a wood Humidity Meter lets you how wet wood is. So, you can predict how long wood will take to dry. Well, wood has small amounts of water in it; but it doesn’t mean you should discard the wood. Just let dry for a few days. Anyway, when you know the moisture level in wood with a Humidity Meter; you would know whether you can use the wood or not.
* With a non-invasive type meter, you can determine whether a surface is too wet to paint or not. Too much moisture causes the paint to bubble. So, before you polish, paint, or apply a finish; know how wet is the wood.
* A wood Humidity Meter is very useful when you are working on a restoration project. With the instrument, you can determine whether the wood is safe to use or should you replace.
Buy a wood Humidity Meter depending on your job. As mentioned, two types of meters are there, each with unique advantages. In summary, every professional wood carpenter needs to have this useful instrument in their tool boxes.